Monday, December 29, 2008

Lizard-Block


I've been wrestling with my review of the Jesus Lizard's Liar for a while now. My difficulties with it have really helped me see the challenge in writing an album review so as to have a sort of narrative quality to it, flowing prose with a beginning, middle and end. I've been trying all sorts of little angles to get the juices flowing, and came up with this terse little piece I thought I'd share:

Recipe For a Jesus Lizard Song

1. Have rhythm section play absolutely punishing backing beat.

2. Have guitar player alternate between:
(a) chunky blues-based riffs,
(b) post-punk chime/shimmer
(c) all-out squalls of white noise.

3. Have vocalist:
(a) drink body weight in alcohol,
(b) rant and rave on top of the whole glorious mess.

4.Repeat.

5.Reap awesome results.

Serves 4-6

1 comment:

  1. i agree that reviews are hard to do in fresh, interesting ways. i think you definitely succeeded. ha.

    ReplyDelete